Hosts Qatar have been knocked out of the World Cup with simply two matches after a 3-1 defeat by Senegal on the Al Thamama Stadium.
Qatar are backside of Group A with a sport to play and afterward Friday turned the primary crew to be eradicated after the Netherlands averted defeat towards Ecuador.
Boulaye Dia (41) and Famara Diedhiou (48) struck both facet of half-time to place Senegal in management as they appeared to reply to their opening evening defeat to the Netherlands.
Mohamed Montazeri pulled one again for Qatar with a historic first aim in a World Cup last (78), however the hosts’ inconceivable comeback lasted simply six minutes as Ahmadou Deng restored Senegal’s two-goal lead (84). Restored.
Large moments of the sport…
- 33 min: Qatar’s penalty appeals are ignored after Akram Afif is bundled down by Ismaila Sir.
- 40 min: Boule Dia places Senegal in entrance after a defensive error by Bollim Khokhi.
- 48 min: Famara Diedhiou’s close to put up header doubles Senegal’s lead
- 62 min: Almuz Ali registers Qatar’s first shot heading in the right direction on the World Cup however Edward Mendy saves.
- 67 min: Ismail Mohamed’s forces make a shock save from Edward Mendy.
- 78 min: Mohamed Montazeri pulls again with Qatar’s first World Cup aim.
- 84 min: Ahmedou Dieng restores Senegal’s lead.
Senegal knocked hosts Qatar out of their very own occasion.
After a forgettable World Cup debut towards Ecuador, Qatar confirmed enchancment towards Senegal, though they lacked an attacking risk in a one-sided first half.
The hosts felt they need to have been awarded a penalty when Akram Afif was introduced down within the space by Ismaila Sir, however referee Antonio Mateo Lahoz ignored the appeals.
Qatar have been inside 4 minutes of reaching the break on stage phrases when Senegal took the lead, Dia rifleing within the opener on the close to put up following a defensive error by Boulim Khokhi.
Senegal doubled their lead inside three minutes of the restart when Diedhiou appeared very good from a nook to all however condemn Qatar to complete.
However the hosts produced a superb flurry, registering their first two efforts heading in the right direction this World Cup as Edward Mendy pulled off two very good saves to disclaim Almuz Ali and Ismail Mohamed within the house of 5 minutes.
The Qatari strain lastly advised 12 minutes from time when Muntari rose to move dwelling his nation’s first World Cup last aim, however the celebrations have been short-lived, Dieng firing dwelling from 12 yards to increase Senegal’s two-goal cushion. Restored and left the hosts staring. An early exit.
Sanchez: Qatar shouldn’t be known as a failure.
Qatar head coach Felix Sanchez mentioned his facet shouldn’t be labeled “failures and disappointments” after their second group match defeat, which left the World Cup hosts on the verge of exiting the match. .
“I feel we performed properly,” Sanchez mirrored. “Whenever you come right here that you must know the place you are coming from. If it is failure and disappointment, it will depend on expectations.
“Our purpose was to be aggressive… We have now been working for months to offer an excellent efficiency. However generally the match does not go as you anticipate. It additionally will depend on the efficiency of the opponents. The extent above us. However did not play. We have been aggressive however did not enhance.
What does the end result imply?
Qatar’s second defeat on the 2022 World Cup left them backside of Group A with none factors and, after the Netherlands and Ecuador drew 1-1, out of the competitors.
Within the last video games of Group A, Qatar tackle the Netherlands and Ecuador tackle Senegal at 3pm on Tuesday.
Qatar is making a robust case for worst World Cup host.
Sky Sports activities’ Laura Hunter:
“Hosts Qatar are out of the World Cup after one other humiliating defeat. Senegal barely bought out of third gear. There have been small slivers of aid; Qatar actually stepped up their sport within the second half, First created a good ruckus, scoring a well-taken aim.
“However they’ve turn out to be the primary host nation to crash out of a World Cup match having performed simply two video games. Head coach Felix Sanchez put Qatar’s opening evening defeat right down to “nerves”.
“The Gulf state, which has come below a lot scrutiny and criticism off the pitch, had by no means certified for a World Cup match earlier than profitable the proper to host it 12 years in the past, and their footballing ineptitude has Nothing to distract from actuality. The gulf in high quality is big. They’re throwing the occasion however are the primary to go away.”
Qatar Makes Historical past – Opta Statistics
- Qatar has turn out to be the primary host nation to lose two matches in a bunch stage of an version of the World Cup.
- Mohammad Montazeri scored Qatar’s first World Cup aim in his second match and together with his twelfth shot.
- After South Africa in 2010 and Russia in 2018 (each 3-0 defeats to Uruguay), Qatar turned the one host nation to attain three objectives in a single group stage sport.
- Senegal turned the primary African crew to defeat the host nation on the World Cup. All the earlier 4 events the African crew confronted the hosts had seen them lose by an mixture rating of 12–2.